Allotment 76 - Rachael and Gavin's Growing Diary

The highs and lows of allotment vegetable growing in the UK.

A really hot day

Actually had my top off. Very nice for me. Not so nice for the neighbours. Haha.

In a shockingly environmentally friendly turn of events, I used last year's dried out jerusalem artichoke sticks as tomato canes. Free and zero miles! My how things change.

Very little done today as there was a great MotoGP race (Rossi taught Lorenzo a lesson I think will define the season, viva 46!) and I had to do jobs around the house.

I carried two growbags up from the local shop, about 300 yards. Jesus they're heavy! (Or I'm unfit). Anyway, I think my back is in its previous state of fitness once more. Good. It's been painful and a little worrying that I'd done something permanent. I filled one of the bags with 4 tomato plants cadged from our neighbour, purpotedly yellow tomatoes. The more the merrier. One bag still spare.

Watered the greenhouse plants. Noticed a couple of very pretty wasps in the Jerusalem artichokes - not yellowjackets - one black and the other yellow. Some really pretty little spiders in the greenhouse too. Long forelegs, green and yellow. Will have to look them up.

I replanted the remains of last year's apple mint. Pointless sentimentality really, but it was the very first plant I bought and I'd really like to rescue it. Where it was last year there was basically just a stick, but I noticed a bit of green on it so have put it in a large pot with a lot of compost and brought it into the greenhouse. Rachael thinks it's gone, but I'm hopeful some love can turn it back into a plant.

The cucumbers look utterly terrible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.