Allotment 76 - Rachael and Gavin's Growing Diary

The highs and lows of allotment vegetable growing in the UK.

I am a monster

Feeling truly horrible! Our neighbours (a guy and his father in-law) have recently abandoned their allotment due to some shenanigans at, or rather slightly too close to, home. It's pretty much a meadow now with a few very tall brassicas and fruit bushes. Finally there is some talk of someone else getting it so I got the brush cutter out and made a start on the big stuff, and decided to lift some of the carpets. There was a squeeking noise from the undergrowth when I started that should have alerted me, but after lifting a bit of carpet I notice 5 baby rodents. The people who are busy raiding the previous occupants stuff identify them as rats - and variations on 'kill the rats!" fill the air. I dutifully hid them in the nearest bush, hoping mum comes back and moves them somewhere a bit more sensible. They are blind and pink, probably only a few days old. It doesn't look good for them. Then the mother appears standing about 4 feet from me in plain view, squeeking - it's a field mouse, not a rat. I feel awful. Despite the mouse damage to my pumpkin, I don't mind them at all, and all babies look like babies to me now. Cast somewhat of a pall over my day. Some consolation that she'll probably have another litter in a couple of weeks.

Dug over the bottom of bed 3 and dug out some of the annual weeds, planted 12 or so white sprouting brocolli and some more kale.

Things haven't exactly impressed me with the speed of their growing, but I think I'm just being impatient. Have started watering the beds and things seem to at least be getting started now.

Have acquired two new compost bins, bringing up our total up to 3. Also nicked a disused hose.

Bought some brain to apply to cucumbers in the hope of detering, or at least sating the slugs appetites.

Put some shelves into the greenhouse.

Dug over bed 7. Onions planned to go in here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.