Allotment 76 - Rachael and Gavin's Growing Diary

The highs and lows of allotment vegetable growing in the UK.

Got a bit done today

Rachael did a bit of weeding and I looked after the kids till she went home. Once I was on my own I had a bit of a go at the Russian vine that's costing us the bottom ten feet of our allotment and swamping our shed almost totally on most of one side and completely on the other. I found a fruiting Elder tree under it, which was quite a nice surprise. I think a few days of concerted effort might actually get it under control. Will endeavor to do it this week. As usual topped off the water butts and watered the greenhouse growbags.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Rachael came across a recipe in the River Cottage cookbook for pickled Nasturtium seed pods, which odd as it sounds, taste reminiscent of capers, and possibly better. We've got lots of nasturtiums so we found some pods and tried a few raw, and they are very nice indeed. Will pickle the few dozen we have and report back.

We dug up our first potatoes today, the yield is pretty low, probably because we didn't manure properly, but the spuds themselves are very good. We had them with a melange of courgettes and beans and a salad of lettuce and my own radish pickle - all from the allotment. Very nice indeed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.