Allotment 76 - Rachael and Gavin's Growing Diary

The highs and lows of allotment vegetable growing in the UK.

Disaster (of the minor kind)

Every single one of our brassicas has been devoured by Large White catterpillars. I'm slightly annoyed about this. I've lost 20 Curly Kale and the same number of Early White Sprouting brocolli. There is nothing left but rough stumps towering to a height of about 1" from the ground. Somewhat of a setback. Ho hum.

On a brighter note, our beans are doing fantastically. I have all the ones I planted going great guns now.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

And my leeks are doing far better than my expectations.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Leeks

My squashes, I think, are finished for the year. I'll give the courgettes another few days to surprise me, but my South African gem squash plant has ceased to function. Will grow those again though, they were delicious.

Here's today's harvest
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Today's Harvest

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.