Allotment 76 - Rachael and Gavin's Growing Diary

The highs and lows of allotment vegetable growing in the UK.

RIP Walnut Orb Weaver

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Sorry for the rubbish phone pics.

I got my gloves out of the conservatory to do a bit of weeding, had a quick look, put them on and got on with my jobs. Five minutes in and I feel a nasty little spike in my little finger. Sadly, my reaction was to whip the glove off and crush whatever was in there. I was pretty sure what it was before I had my hand free, though.

Eventually I managed to turn the little finger inside out and there was a slightly emptied spider. What a shame. Oddly, it had dragged all sorts of bits of grass and tiny twigs in there with it.

The actual bite was pretty innocuous, it felt like a minor splinter except for an odd feeling of force. The aftermath wasn't so pleasant, minor lightheadedness and nausea for a couple of hours. Minor. Totally unsure whether any of that was envenomation or more likely latent arachnophobia and injured pride :)

Mostly gutted that I killed something.

1 comments:

This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here.